Monday 11 March 2013

Murky Monday

Outside it's cold, windy and snowy.  For once, the gym was warmer inside than it was outside.  I'm fairly sure that one of the heaters was on, too.  Which just goes to prove exactly how cold it is.  Perfect weather for getting a sweat on then!

So, today's workout is all about building on last week's successful gym session.  Squat, bench press, row, hypers and sit ups.  All with some kind of improvement; either in total volume or in maximum weight.

Squat: 70kg, 90kg, 105kg, 125kg, 140kg
Bench press: 50kg, 65kg, 75kg, 90kg, 100kg
Row: 45kg, 55kg, 65kg, 75kg, 85kg
Hyper: 5 x 10 @ 10kg
Sit ups: 3 x 30 @ 10kg, 2 x 30 @ 15kg

Squat went well and apart from a poor 3rd rep on the last set (for some reason I didn't go as low as I could/should have), it was a solid session and pleasing - I'll be going up 5kg next week and feel confident that it won't cause too much of an issue.

Bench press was OK - the last 2 reps felt difficult and I always seem to struggle with bench press on a Monday, especially after playing prop at rugby.

Row was difficult, I think I've found my level now, which is good as I'm no longer coasting along.

Hyperextension seemed ok - 5 sets all weighted, which I think is an improvement by 1 set (weighted).

Sit ups were another step up in terms of weight and reps - I did 105 reps last week.  This week, I did 150 reps and I didn't bother holding a 5kg weight - I was straight into the 10kg.

So, overall, it was a good session.

But, I have a couple of gripes.  Firstly, people who go to the gym wearing jeans.  Why?  I wouldn't work out in jeans.  Totally beyond me. Secondly, people who go to the gym in their work clothes - how difficult is it to go to work with a gym bag.  Lastly, people who stack massive weights up, then grunt around as if they're in a death metal band, then do piddly little partial reps.#

If I had a gym, all of these people would be banned within a week.  But then I'm a grumpy toad.

No comments:

Post a Comment