Tuesday 5 March 2013

Maybe this is better Monday

After last week's fairly rubbish sessions and not being able to get to the gym on Friday (happy birthday, mother!), I had a weekend of not watching my food so much.  But still a weekend of effort with rugby; how I love playing loosehead prop.  By love, I mean dislike with a passion.  Only one person to headbut, a weird binding position with my left arm and for this week, a second row that liked to de-bag me before every scrummage.  My one scrummage at tighthead was an utter delight - engage the scrummage, let the loosehead think he's got underneath me, then strangle him with his own arm.  Sunday saw the boxing circuits class where I found out that I wasn't the only one that suffered in the legs from all of the plyometrics - I saw a new PB on pressups in a minute, which was pleasing (41, with room for more).

So, onto Monday's session.  I wasn't particularly wanting to progress the weights after failing last week, so I went back a week on the plan.

Squat: 70kg, 85kg, 100kg, 120kg, 135kg
Bench: 50kg, 65kg, 75kg, 90kg, 95kg
Row: 50kg, 65kg, 75kg, 80kg, 85kg
Hypers: 10 @ BW, 4 x 10 +10kg
Sit ups: 50 +5kg, 25 +10kg, 30 +15kg

Squat:  this went well and I felt some confidence come back.  135kg was shifted without much drama and I didn't stall part way through any reps.  Pleasing stuff.

Bench:  again, this all went swimmingly.  The 5 @ 95kg were difficult, but very do-able, as they should be.

Row:  I had a brain-fart and read my weights wrong.  I was reading from the bench press column until the 3rd set, when I thought 'blimey, this is heavy for set 3!'.  But, having shifted the weight, I didn't want to back down, so I added 2.5kg each side for the remaining sets.  Pretty chuffed to have done 85kg.

Hypers:  these went without much hitch, although I think I perhaps need to go lower before I extend.

Sit ups:  as these are getting easier, I decided to miss the 2.5kg weight and go straight into 50 reps using the 5kg weight.  Then upped the weight to 10kg for the next set.  On the last set, I decided to do at least 25 or until I couldn't do any more.  I got to 30 and I was feeling cramps in my stomach muscles, so I called it a day at that.  Pretty chuffed with the sit ups on the scale of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment