Monday 18 February 2013

Monday, Malady Monday

So then - the weekend went.  I played rugby for the first time in a long time.  And I felt like I'd been hit by a bus on Sunday.  And today, I felt like the same bus had parked on my neck, shoulders and arms all night.  Squatting was going to be fun tonight.

I'd also been thinking that my recent gym sessions weren't quite containing enough exercises.  The core was there, but it just felt a little less demanding than it should be.  So, looking into it, it would appear that lots of people are doing supplementary exercise in order to assist the lifts, but doing them after the core 3 exercises.  So, I'll be doing the following - Monday: hyper-extensions and sit ups, Tuesday/Wednesday: sit ups/abdominal workout.  Friday: bicep curls, tricep extension, dips.  Friday will be a killer of a session - biceps, triceps and dips!

So then...

Squat: 70kg, 85kg, 100kg, 120kg, 135kg
Bench: 50kg, 65kg, 75kg, 90kg, 100kg
Row: 40kg, 45kg, 55kg, 65kg, 75kg
Hyperextension: 4 x 10 @ bodyweight
Sit ups:  1 x 20 @ bodyweight, 1 x 20 +5kg, 1 x 20 @ bodyweight, 1 x 20 @ +10kg, 1 x 20 @ bodyweight

Squatting was difficult tonight.  I think the rugby and boxing over the weekend really took it out of my legs.  I found the last rep very difficult.

Bench press was OK, although I had to re-rack and have a moment for the last rep - I'd got no spotter and sweaty palms.

Row: felt fine, and the last rep was almost a break in form, but it's a lot of weight and I'm trying to avoid using my core to get the weight moving.

Hyperextension felt OK.  I might grab a 2.5kg weight next time and attempt to go up by 2.5kg per week.  So in 8 weeks, I'll be doing that with a plate.

Sit ups were OK.  I felt tired in the abs, but that's a good thing.

Then, after getting home and calming down, I've got a fair amount of pain in the top of my left trapezius, which is less than comfortable.  Rest day tomorrow, so hopefully it'll loosen up.

No comments:

Post a Comment