Until 0640hrs when I had a text off my training partner. "Still on for a 7am leg session?". Being the type that would cut my own nose off to spite my face, I replied positively. I then horizontally defecated and got into my gym kit.
As it turns out, training at that time in the morning is monumentally stupid and excruciatingly difficult. A deadlift session and a squat session saw me firmly out of time and having to seize up on my 26 mile commute.
I ate almost like a train today. Should Ivor The Engine be a little peckish, I'm sure he'd have enjoyed my lunch.
Then home-time happened. I got back into my gym kit and finished my leg session and went about my business doing shoulder works and some other bits while I waited for my training partner to finish work and spot me on the shoulder press.
Then it was time to do a steady 10 miles on the bike. So... 3 sets of exercise in one day. If I'm not as fit as a fiddle by Christmas, then I'll give up and go back to almost nightly drinking. At least I slept better then...
Anyway - today's sessions...
- Deadlift: 10 @ 60kg, 8 @ 80kg, 3 x 5 @ 110kg
- Squat: 10 @ 60kg, 8 @ 80kg, 3 x 5 @ 100kg
- Leg press: 10 @ 160kg, 8 @ 200kg, 3 x 5 @ 290kg
- Calf raise: 10 @ half stack, 8 @ 3/4 stack, 3 x 5 @ full stack
- Lat pulldown: 10 @ 45kg, 8 @ 55kg, 3 x 5 @ 70kg
- Spider curl: 10 @ 20kg, 8 @ 25kg, 3 x 5 @ 35kg
- Shrug: 10 @ 40kg, 8 @ 60kg, 3 x 5 @ 70kg
- DB Shoulder press: 10 @ 70lb, 8 @ 90lb, 3 x 5 @ 110lb
- 10 miles on the bike, including 4 miles with a 4 stone child refusing to pedal on a tag along!
Leg press was another 10kg improvement and I think there was possibly another plate's worth of effort in there.
Spider curl was pleasing and I surprised myself a little with the weights. I'm getting towards being strong again!
The shoulder press didn't go quite as well as I'd hoped, but, there's always time and I'm determined to get the 60lb DBs moving above my head. Maybe doing the next shoulder press set at the beginning of the day would help.
Also - I had a twitter conversation with Terry Hollands - WSM competitior. Overall a good training day and one that I'd do again tomorrow.