Wednesday 22 August 2012

Holy testicle Tuesday!

Tonight's training session was always going to be a tough one.  Legs.  Two major compound exercises in one session.

My forearm hadn't quite recovered from my heaviest deadlift in a good while last Friday, so I wasn't looking forward to having to hoik up more weight this week.  But; it's now done and dominated for another week.

Tonight's session:

  • Deadlift - 1 x 10 @ 60kg, 1 x 8 @ 80kg, 3 x 5 @ 115kg
  • Squat - 1 x 10 @ 50kg, 1 x 8 @ 50kg, 3 x 5 @ 90kg
  • Wide grip lat pulldown - 3 x 15 @ 40kg
  • Leg press - 1 x 10 @ 160kg, 1 x 8 @ 200kg, 3 x 5 @ 280kg
  • Calf raise - 1 x 10 @ 1/2 stack, 1 x 8 @ 3/4 stack, 3 x 5 @ full stack
Without wanting to sound all Brokeback Mountain; I struggle to want to do the real heavy stuff without a training partner there to push me along and my motivation waned a little.  But, I still managed to do the weights as above.

Deadlift - I managed that, but it was heavy.  Very heavy.  Eyes bulging and red-faced heavy.  I know that it's all about small improvements - especially on a dodgy knee.  So I'm happy - but I'm not looking forward to 2.5 plate deadlift next week!

Squat - due to my knee being almost buggered, I'm a little wary about these.  Focusing on maintaining good form, with my knees tracking straight is what I'm after.  I think that I easily have a 2 plate (100kg) squat in me for the 3 x 5 reps.  Knee felt good, too.

Pulldown - this is all about getting my shoulder-blade moving as it should.  It also gave my quads a little rest after the deadlift and squat back to back.

Leg press - we're having a competition at the rugby lclub and I want the leg press title (it's for 3 reps).  Now I have a feel for the leg press after last week, I've got a challenging working weight.  So challenging that I let out an air biscuit mid way through a set - I really didn't want 280kgs coming crashing down due to a trouser cough.

Calf raise - this was just to kill the legs completely.  I'm really not sure what the weight is, but I calf raised the entire lot.

Overall, a pleasing session.  One that left me feeling well and truly spent for a good couple of hours afterwards.  Quite how people do the gym before a day's work is totally beyond me!

Looking forward to a big shoulder session tonight.  Powerful shoulders are the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment