Saturday 18 August 2012

Pre-weekend pump!

What a way to start the weekend!

I managed to get home from work in time to give the gym a good going over, as per my plan.  However, I decided to alter the plan a little as I'm still a little unsure about the steadyness of my knee.

Tonight's session was:

Deadlift - 1 x 10 @ 60kg, 1 x 8 @ 80kg, 3 x 5 @ 110kg
Squat - 1 x 10 @ 40kg, 1 x 10 @ 50kg, 3 x 5 @ 80kg
Leg Press - 1 x 10 @ 80kg, 1 x 8 @ 120kg, 1 x 5 @ 200kg, 1 x 5 @ 230kg, 1 x 5 @ 250kg
Dumbell bicep curl - 1 x 10 @ 30lb (per DB), 1 x 8 @ 35lb, 3 x 5 @ 40lb
EZ Curl 'pass the bar' - 3 x 10 @ 20kg


As for the general feel of the session.

Deadlift - I was let down by my right hand grip, but I'm not wanting to deadlift with wraps until I'm at a 3 plate + DL.  The grip will come with training.  Still, this is my most confident of the big 4 compounds and I think it will show as I move my weights up (next week's working weight will be another 5kg so more than bodyweight).

Squat - my breathing wasn't right on this and I felt light-headed on the first 2 of the working sets.  Breathe out as I go up, breathe in as I go down; but my breath in was too sharp and I was holding my breath as I went down.  Sorted it out on the last set and I felt better.  I was also watching to make sure that my knee was tracking over my toes and to make sure that my knee was stable - I need stability before strength on my wobbly MCL.

Leg Press - the weights went up drastically as I was doing some range-finding.  12.5 plates is a lot and I'm going to look to be on 14 plates for my working weights next week.

DB bicep curl - tonight, the gym was a little bit of a mess and I couldn't find the 45lb DBs, so had to make do with the 40s - tried a 50lb and my form was all out.  Other than that, a pleasing exercise.

Pass The Bar - this is just a quick session finisher that my training partner and I do.  Basically, we rattle through a light-ish 3 x 10 @ 20kg then pass the bar over, the only rest is the amount of time that my partner is doing the exercise for.

Felt good and strong all the way through the session.  I know that I was working hard and I'm beginning to see and feel the benefits of training regularly.

I'm looking forward to having the weekend off the weights.  Tomorrow, I'm cycling to & from Derby (around 11 miles each way) and Sunday I've got boxing training; but there will be no heavy weights lifted, other than my wobbly backside!

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment