Sunday 18 November 2012

Fantabulous Friday

After a good couple of 'rest' days, I was ready for another gym session.  By rest, I mean tip-toeing around the training pitch at rugby (it's slippery and I'm regaining confidence that my knee won't explode on a change of direction).  I was reasonably achy after that, but in a good way.  I like strength training.  But I love rugby training.  Running, at pace.  Beating an opposition with a perfectly timed and weighted pass.  Taking a good running line and cutting through defence.  Taking contact and winning the physical encounter.  For me, all greater thrills than pushing weight.  But... pushing weight makes me better at the above.

So... in my excitement to make myself better at running into/past people, I totally forget that it should have been a shoulder workout and I plough straight into my bench press session.


  • Bench press - 10 @ 60kg, 4 x 5 @ 100kg
  • Seated row - 10 @ 50kg, 4 x 5 @ 85kg
  • Cable flye - 10 @ 30kg, 4 x 5 @ 40kg
  • Incline bench press - 10 @ 60kg, 4 x 5 @ 70kg

My biggest ever bench press was 100kg for 3 x 5 and my spotter had to step in on the last couple of reps.  This was an improvement by 1 set AND there was no need for spotter intervention.  I was enormously pleased with this - just having an extra plate meant so much and helps prove to myself that I'm on the right track with my training - changing it up a little and going back.

Seated row was fairly standard and I'm still careful about my back.

Cable flye was up a weight and felt good.

Incline bench press was a change from the last bench session where I did narrow-grip, just to work the chest ever so slightly differently.


Overall a pleasing session and I celebrated with a jerk chicken pizza!  Nomalicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment