Saturday 15 September 2012

Fancy that; it's Friday!

Almost the end of another training week.  I thought I'd eventually take a measurement.  My biceps, as I'm absolutely sure that I have a bigger right upper arm than left arm.

Left arm = 15.5 inches.
Right arm = 18 inches.

2.5 inches different.  That's a lot!  So, I want to isolate my arms wherever possible and push/pull independently.  I'll sacrifice a bit of power/strength gain overall in favour of my left arm catching up.

So, onto tonight's gym session:

Bench press: 10 @ 50kg, 8 @ 60kg, 3 x 5 @ 95kg
Close grip pulldown: 10 @ 50kg, 8 @ 65 kg, 3 x 5 @ 85kg
Incline bench press: 10 @ 50kg, 8 @ 60kg, 3 x 5 @ 70kg
DB Hammer curl: 10 @ 35lb, 8 @ 45lb, 3 x 5 @ 25kg
Tricep pushdown: 10 @ 40kg (each arm), 8 @ 50kg (each arm), 3 x 5 @ 100kg


We had planned on doing another bicep exercise, but we ran out of time.

Overall, I was quite pleased with the session.  Bench press was getting better.  1 more week at this weight and I'll be on 2 plates, which pleases me enormously.  Everything else was solid enough.  On the hammer curls, I worked my left arm more - I did at least 3 more reps on my left hand side.

Now, I feel the need for a rant.  Some people who use the gym really need taking around the back and burying under the patio.  I got to the gym tonight to find some turd had left his water bottle and a puddle of sweat on the bench press station - seriously; take your kit around with you and wipe up using the towels provided.  Then, as I do my first set on the seemingly unoccupied pulldown cable, the same chap comes sauntering over "er, we're using that".  Really?  Because I could have swore blind that you were giving some rubbish advice on a clean and press at a whopping 30kg.  He suggests that I use another machine.  I suggest 'working in' as I'll be helping my mate on an adjacent machine.  He clearly has no idea what working in means as he then uses the pulley machine for 1 set, then doesn't use it again.  What.  The.  Hell!  He wanted to kick me off for 1 sodding set, for which he used the same weight as I used (didn't check the weight, just jumped on and used it).  I hope the camels of a thousand fleas infect his crotch.

That said; I was so incensed that when I sat down to do my 3 x 5, I breezed through it.  My training partner seems to think that an angry Carl is one to keep on his side as I almost 'went a bit Hulk'.

No comments:

Post a Comment