Monday 20 August 2012

No Monday blues here!

The start of a new training week.

I had a good rest at the weekend.  Cycled a couple of miles on Saturday and went to the boxing circuits session on Sunday.

My shoulder felt a little achy this morning; I think I overdid the punching at boxing.  But, I'm a man and there was a bag in front of me.  I'm not going to tickle it, am I?

Following the program and adding a little in, tonight's session looked like:
  • DB Bench Press
  • Bicep work (curls, hammer, pass-bar, whatever, just mix it up a bit)
  • Dips
  • Flyes
  • Cable wide grip lat pulldown
So, my training partner and I made the short trip to the gym.  Tonight's weights were as follows:

  • DB bench press - 10 @ 70lbs, 8 @ 90lbs, 3 x 5 @ 110lbs.
  • Hammer curl - 10 @ 35lbs, 8 @ 40lbs, 3 x 5 @ 55lbs
  • Cable pulldown - 10 @ 40kg, 8 @ 50kg, 3 x 5 @ 65kg
  • Dips - 10 @ 80lb, 8 @ 80lb, 3 x 5 @ 80lb
  • Cable crossover flye - 10 @ 20kg, 8 @ 25kg, 3 x 5 @ 40kg
I was feeling pretty good about the bench press, so I asked my training partner to spot me as I pushed out 3 reps @  132lbs (1 plate + bar).  I managed these with relative ease and little to no pain in my shoulder.  This weight used to be a warm up weight and I'd have been depressed at moving this previously.  But, as I'm coming back from injury, it pleased me immensely to push a plate with no pain.  I'm going to stick with the DB bench and I'll keep upping the weight as I need to keep doing movements that improve my shoulder's proprioception.

The curls were a weight PB for me - I've never curled 55lbs before, so I'm really pleased with that!

The pulldown was a fairly standard session.  I finished with 10 very slow and controlled pulls, concentrating on shoulderblade movement.

Due to today's shoulder pain, I found it difficult to dip tonight, so I stuck with the same assistance.  I won't let that get to me - my shoulder is in rehab, so I'll forgive a little pain and not pushing too much.

The cable crossover was hard, but worth it.

I am now quite tired.  But, aches are good - it reminds me that I worked and worked hard!  Pleasing training session!

No comments:

Post a Comment